Hoofterlands Ch.6

Where the story plays out.
Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Re: Hoofterlands Ch.6

Postby Lucy Took » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:37 am

"And she's arrogant." Renew added. "So I think the two of us will clash, but hopefully learn something along the way." She looked back at the teen. "Oh, and since no one bothered to elaborate who this is to you, Kheam, Wither's talks to dead people. And he's a genius. We have a lot of those around here, no matter what the Alliance propaganda says."
~If this should end in fire, then we should all burn together~

Knight Tyrfang
Is a cackling Pony

Postby Knight Tyrfang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 am

Khaem
Hoofterlands - Appleoosa Outskirts

Khaem blinked at the gold unicorn's words, and her eyes followed him out of the tent. "That one is certainly sharp, surprisingly."

"And my dear, I expect nothing less. Propaganda is simply that, and only fools would fall for it." She said, looking pleased. The prospects of being able to clash wits, and gather information from someone in her field was exciting, since she had no peers before. The dragon turned her attention to the commander, which she would hazard a guess was the leader of the EMPs. She took a deep bow in greeting.

"Greetings commander. As the gold unicorn has said, I am Khaem, great-grand daughter of the Elder Necerion. I am defecting because I don't entirely agree with Darkfang's war, and frankly dislike a lot of the Elders currently reigning and this seems like a good opportunity to solve both those problems, and maybe get a little out of it as well in various means. And I will admit that I may have been a bit more courteous if I had realized I had been speaking with your underlings." The researcher said in greeting, looking down on the unicorn. It was a weird experience for her, normally she was on the small side among dragons, but here she was consistently taller than most ponies. Not by much in some cases, but literally looking down on others this often was somewhat refreshing. "And I will be upfront and frank, I am willing to employ my services in assistance of the Equestrians, however I do not take orders very well, nor am I willing to officially associate myself with any group or sortie. Personally I wouldn't mind, but I'm sure there are many others like that shadow pony that would. But I am still willing to cooperate, and promise that all actions will not be harmful to any pony without consent or proper anesthetics."

She continued, with her arms crossed. "As for the doctor's comment, I believe intellect, and your frankly outlandish ability to speak with the deceased, is better proven with a display, so excuse me while I doubt both until I see it with my own eyes.

ExTecha
Is a pony

Postby ExTecha » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:52 pm

EMP Commander Wither

Hoofterlands - Outside Appleoosa

Brushing his mane out from in front of his glasses. "The pleasure is mine. Unfortunately we'll just have to postpone the demonstration, seeing as I have other matters to attend to and I feel that a demonstration would prove of little value anyhow." Levitating his glasses off as a fine cloth drifts out of his saddle. "Elegant, watch over the possible deceiver. Renew, I request an audience." The tent flap pulled itself aside. "Come, take a walk with me."

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Renew collected her papers. "Of course, Commander." she said, stepping outside. "Is it my brain or my services that are needed, or both?"

ExTecha
Is a pony

Postby ExTecha » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

EMP Commander Wither - NPC

Stepping out of the tent with the mare, the commander looked out towards Appleoosa. "I'm pulling you off of Nightingale detail. We'll have some other physician look at her. After contemplating the situation, I feel it is unwise for you to care for her, given certain... similarities. You'll still be allowed to work together of course, but I feel that you two are... like oil and fire, as it were." Cocking his head slightly the commander followed up with a question. "I'd like to hear your opinion of course on the subject, or any rebuttal as well."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nightingale

Nightingale trotted through the camp alongside breaker. "Sir is there something more you wish to discuss with me? Why aren't we pressing the attack? And why are we putting up with that snide little lizard?"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elegant Shard

The graceful stallion watched his fellows leave the tent one by one. Turning to Khaem, he gave a gentle smile. "You'll have to forgive everyone. The Captain is under a lot of pressure and we're all pretty stressed out in general." His horn became aglow with a pink hue as a jug of water poured some of it's contents into a cup. "Please, help yourself. I am sorry that your welcome is met with skepticism and distrust."

Knight Tyrfang
Is a cackling Pony

Postby Knight Tyrfang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Khaem

Khaem nodded, and watched the commander leave, before commenting. "I like him. Very professional."

She gratefully took some water, remembering how parched she was from traveling too quickly, and plopped herself back on the seat now that she was being baby sat again, and retrieved her notebook from the desk. She began to write what she had observed, along with sketches, with her nose buried. "What're you apologizing for? It's perfectly understandable."

The researcher closed the book and looked up. "If the roles were reversed, I'm sure we'd treat you all the same, not to mention with a lot more... violence. I'm your enemy, and I probably will still be considered as one for a while because of the nature of this war. It's a war of species thinly veiled by ideals, nothing more."

"In fact, I should probably be thanking you all. For not taking my head off so quickly, and for the hospitality." Khaem said, honest as she usually was. "Admittedly, it was refreshing not being worshiped outright."

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Renew stopped in her tracks. "Similarities? You think that I want to kill all of the dragons? Far from it, I want peaceful coexistence as much as most people, I don't think annihilation is the answer. I don't believe I've egged Nightingale on in anyway to her destructive habits or displayed an affinity for shadowed spirits. I admit that I've barely come close to what ails her, but I'd been observing her since she first was found, aside from yourself and Elegant I'm the closest pony to the case. And for that matter, what would taking me off the case do to him? His morel over the whole situation is bad enough as it is." She said before pausing to think.

"Unless of course you're talking about the similarities to my sister, in which case your concerns are totally unfounded. Aether was insane and her transformation was sudden. Nightingale still has some restraint and her issue is just as much a magical one as it is a psychological one. And if you think I had anything with Aether going over the edge, you are sorely mistaken. I made my peace about that long ago."

ExTecha
Is a pony

Postby ExTecha » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:09 pm

EMP Commander Wither

Wither looked over at the seemingly flustered mare. "I've upset you, and I apologize. I was speaking of similarities to your sister. I delicate subject I know, but still..." Wither began to trot down the hill. "I've read the reports of her trial, incarceration. I've even been able to piece together some of the notes found in her lab. Brilliant stuff, misguided, but brilliant." Stopping once more, this time to turn to the mare. "Having read these documents, I feel that the assumption that her mental condition was a sudden change to be quite... unfounded. Something happened in her life that made her what she is, I haven't yet been able to understand what that may be, my duties limit my off time research. And there's the consideration of your feelings of the matter."

Wither flipped his mane back to look at the sky. "But Nightingale is enduring something that no pony has endured in centuries. She can no longer use her magic, instead she pulls from the shadows to conjure creatures, weapons, and who knows what else. While she can mimic the powers of others like a mirrored shadow, the loss of ones true magic... I can only imagine to be heartbreaking., specially to one as talented as she was." The commander looked around at the troops. "We can't presume to know what she's going through, and I need to know that no matter what... she'll be taken care of. Very rare is the moment when a pony becomes "suddenly mad." If you are to continue your analysis of Nightingale, I need to know that it will not affect you whatsoever, can you tell me with one hundred percent certainty that this will not effect you?"

Elegant Shard

Elegant smiled. "I wouldn't have allowed for any harm to come to you. My sister would have tried, and even though it might kill me to do it. I would have defended you. We aren't monsters and it isn't in our way to just take life." Elegant pulled up a chair and sat down, careful to pull his tail over his lap and hair in front of his shoulder. "I hate this war. But in the end, I'll do what I have to to see my people happy. I just hope our children can grow up in a time without this kind of struggle." Elegant chuckled to himself lightly. "I'm sorry, just amusing. Never sat down with a dragon face to face in civil conversation before, well Spike perhaps but that's another matter. Let's get you debriefed shall we?"

Knight Tyrfang
Is a cackling Pony

Postby Knight Tyrfang » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:06 am

Khaem

"You are certainly a polite one." Khaem said after a brief silence. "And you all are certainly strange. So selfless, thinking about others and even unconceived children. Dragons are very much selfish, and rarely do we think much of our kids, to the extent you Equestrians do. But it's a part of our reckless strength as well I believe."

Stretching, she vaguely recognized the name Spike, recalling some venomous name calling of the child for siding with Equestrians. "And I doubt a conversation like this would happen some time soon, most of us are very, very stupid. Muscle headed, there's a reason why there's only a handful of elders, and adults, when you can practically trip over teens with each step. Now, would you kindly tell me what debriefing is? I'm unfamiliar with the term."

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:15 am

"I've read the notes myself, and you are right, mentally she did start to slip, but it took awhile before she started showing outward signs. My personal theory is that it wasn't a single event that caused her to start down the wrong path, but rather a more gradual delving into darker arts than a pony should delve into, some things just shouldn't be messed with if a pony wants to stay sane." She took a breath. "And I suppose that Nightingale is starting to look into some things that probably shouldn't be messed with for sanity's sake either, but at least she's open about using her shadows. And to a degree it's probably healthy that she isn't repressing her new talent, I think it helps her cope with loosing her old magic in some ways,even if it can be troubling."

"Honestly I'm only about 90 percent sure that I'm able to handle her case emotionally if she starts to really slip. I do know that if she suddenly were to totally snap I couldn't handle it, at least not in the short term. Perhaps I should take a step back from the case an allow another doctor to work with her, a fresh set of eyes could be helpful. But I still would like to check in, and we will continue to work together. I can't let Elegant think I'm giving up,he's been through a lot himself."

MagusZeal
Site Admin / Lore Master
Site Admin / Lore Master

Postby MagusZeal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 am

Balthier Breaker
Hoofterlands – Appleoosa outskirts

Angling away from the front line Breaker nods to ponies as they move towards the rear. “I need options, if you went in how long do you think you'd be okay for before you had to have backup? What's your thoughts on performing limited recon of what's left of Appleoosa? If Flame or command doesn't get back to us soon we can't afford to delay much longer.” Glancing around to make sure they were out of ear shot Breaker continues. "As for the lizard, Equestria's still not in this fight to wipe out dragonkind."

Korkoa
Site Admin / Pyro
Site Admin / Pyro

Postby Korkoa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Flame Mane, Razorclaw
Hoofterlands-Flank Breaker

Flame Mane walked the halls of his airship, looking over the ship in flight and the new upgrades that had been introduced. They were slight, lighter bulkheads, better engines, a few bigger guns, but the ship was at its finest in a long time. Flame paused in the middle of the hall, feeling the now-familiar feeling of a magically sent message building up. Letting out a long breath, Flame materialized the message, recognizing the ti as one of Renew's. Flame raised an eyebrow, wondering why Renew would be sending him one of these as he opened the missive.

Rushing to the bridge, Flame ran into Razorclaw, dragging him along behind. "Okay, I'm going to need you to gather the crew Razor, we're meeting Breaker and the other EMPs at the forward push point near Appleoosa! High priority, top secret, we're going in dark, got it?"

"Um... So just shut everything down and keep their traps shut then?" "Yes. That. Now get going, and get Archer to help you!" Flame said before ducking into the bridge in order to change the course of the Flank Breaker.

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 am

Archer was in her bunk grabbing a cat nap after sharing night duty with Angel. It would be time to get up and move around soon, and she planned to do so on her own terms, but that didn't seem to happen when she heard banging on the door and something about needing to shut things up. "Coming." she said, rolling out of bed and starting her streches, yanking Angel off the top bunk with her tail as she bent down. "Duty calls, time to get up." she said to the pegisus on the floor before strapping on her quiver and bolting out before the midnight mare could come to her senses.

"What needs done, Razor? Did we get a mission?"

ExTecha
Is a pony

Postby ExTecha » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:52 am

"I'm sure Elegant would never think that. Also, I'm looking into her case. Translating old texts and finding the remains or resting places of those who could help is taking some time." Wither turned with Renew at his side. "Let's find the Captain, I want to know how things are progressing here." As he trotted on, he continued to talk without so much as a look towards Renew. "Renew, when was the last time you saw Ather?"

Elegant Shard

Elegant smiled as parchment, ink, and quill levitated over. "I need to know what you can offer us as part of your surrender. You don't need to include specifics yet, but a rough outline would be nice. That way when you are accompanied back to Equestrian territory, they can see you have information or skills to offer and thus the decision of what's to be done with you becomes easier."

Nightingale

Nightingale scoffed. "Give it time, Equestria will get there." Nightingale stopped as a raven flew out of his shadow and perched on her flank. "And I've done the recon, I could get in and rip them apart from the inside. Shadows stretch throughout there camp and every one is my weapon. I would have destroyed them by now if we weren't being being so discrete."

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:03 am

"Are you the only one looking into the case?" Renew asked, delaying answering the question posed to her for a moment. "I know that her case is likely purely magical in which case you being in charge makes perfect sense, but I do think that a doctor should still be on hoof just in case. I know she's in physically perfect health now, but the fact that she was in a coma for so long still concerns me, a doctor should be on call if she were to relapse." Renew said with no emotional edge to her voice, simply stating her opinion calmly and mater-of-factly before looking away.

'"As for Aether, unless she holds information that lives will be lost without she's as good as dead to me. I haven't seen her since she was sentenced."

MagusZeal
Site Admin / Lore Master
Site Admin / Lore Master

Postby MagusZeal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:55 am

Balthier Breaker

Moving to put a hoof to Nightingale's shoulder the golden hued captain glances around quickly. “There's a reason I prefer you being discrete and a lot of it has to do with I don't want Darkfang knowing you exist. Honestly if I thought we could get you the backup I'd have you and a team heading to Dragon's Keep to take her out.” There was fie in Breaker's eyes even as his ears began to droop. “Sadly everyone agrees it likely be a suicide run and it's impossible to get anypony to commit. So for now we move carefully and hope for a chance to strike.”

Angelblade
Hoofterlands – Flankbreaker, bunk

Hitting the ground with a grunt the mare kicks a hind leg in Archer's direction, not expecting to hit the fast moving pony. Taking a moment to untangle herself from her sheets the mare throws them back on to her bunk before grabbing her sword harness from the wall. Shrugging into it the mare runs a hoof through her mane before moves out into the hall falling in behind her favorite couple. Snorting the mare trots to catchup, “With a wake up like that I hope so.

Knight Tyrfang
Is a cackling Pony

Postby Knight Tyrfang » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Khaem

"Oh is that all?" She said, sitting up. "Well I believe I've shown most of my abilities through my conversation with you and the others. I wouldn't want to go into details yet though, because I don't think I could do myself justice unless I can present it all in it's most complete form."

"And do we have to say surrendering? Is there any other term we could use, I dislike the idea that I'm being subservient."

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 pm

TwentySided wrote:Twenty Sided - Hoofterlands - Edge of the Border

Twenty looked at the teletype message. He had no idea who had sent this message or how they would have known that the airship was near. He certainly hadn't sent it. Maybe one of the pegasi had sent it? But how? Looking away from Iron side, the zebra looked around sudden feeling as if he was being watched. It was unnerving.

"I'm guessing there wasn't anything saying who actually sent this message is there?" the zebra asked, "W-well you can tell me later. Let's get the hell out of here. Though I have a chariot waiting just beyond those rocks." he continued, pointing to an outcrop on the horizon. "Can't let them just sit there waiting."

Coma looked at the machine, and then at the chariot that Twenty had pointed at. "How far behind the rocks? Because now that you say that about transport already being set up I don't want to leave them thinking we'd been intercepted. It's very tempting to get out now, but I have to agree with the zony, we should get going."

ExTecha
Is a pony

Postby ExTecha » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Elegant Shard

Jotting down some notes about the dragon Elegant flipped his mane as he raised his head. "Apologies, what would you rather call it?"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nightingale

Nightingale sighed as the hoof rested on her shoulder. "I understand Captain... but I still don't like it. If we were allowed to do what we've been trained to do, the war would be over by now..." Looking back towards the direction of the main tent, Nightingale's expression grew worrisome. "Can't say I'm happy to see Elegant here though... the things that happen on the battlefield should have forever remained a stranger to him. I suppose it's my fault in the end..."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wither noticed the Captain off in the distance and changed his path o intercept. "Our other researchers are being utilized for many tasks. Besides, I'm the one who sent her into that ruin, it's my responsibility to see her through, as her friend and officer. I will another physician be on emergency call for her in the meantime. I'll still have Nightingale report to you for routine checkups, I expect these check-ups to be properly documented and forwarded to me immediately upon completion." As the pair grew near to the Captain and Nightingale's location, Wither stopped and held his hoof out to stop the doctor. "One last thing, in regards to your sister. While it is certainly not my business to meddle in the private affairs of my troops, I wish to say a few words. What I say I preface by stating that this is only my opinion." The Commander turned away from the Doctor, his voice floating back to her, carried on the wind. "If Aether is the monster that you and the Captain believe her to be, then she can't be saved. BUT... what reason would she have to try if not even her loved ones believe in her. At least you have family left... it's more than many of us soldiers can say. And many of those ponies... would die to see their loved ones again."

"And having said my peace..." The commander began his stride once more towards Breaker and Nightingale. "Let's return to the problem at hand, Appleoosa."

MagusZeal
Site Admin / Lore Master
Site Admin / Lore Master

Postby MagusZeal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Balthier Breaker

“From what I remember your brother joined of his own violation my dear dark mare, so it's not your fault.” Spotting the Commander making his way over the golden stallion stopped nodding toward his superior. “As for doing what we were trained for, we are doing it. We were never the fix to this war, merely a self policing force against the horrors of a terrible conflict. We stand against the darkness that may take root in other ponies. Yes we know things that other ponies don't, but that doesn't make us any better at deciding how to end this war.” Memories of learning his brother's spell from the Field Marshall cropped up unbidden, the others had all studied it as well. Seen some of the things hinted at in his research, only the other members didn't recognize the hoofwriting, though he was sure Wither's knew who wrote it, as did the Field Marshal.

“Sides we both know what the dragon's are capable, and on my life if we can make a difference we will Nightingale.” He'd heard the stories of what had happened, even read the reconstructed journal his brother had kept of his captivity. That knowledge put an edge of steel in the stallion's voice. “That's a promise, but it can't make us into the same things as the Alliance.”

Return to “Dragons in Equestria (RP)”