Bucephalus College grounds, Ch 2

Enter Luna University near scenic Salt Lick City.
captain_borgue
Is a cackling Pony

Re: Bucephalus College grounds, Ch 2

Postby captain_borgue » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:58 am

Kerrigan seized the offered hands and tore through the space between then and the frat house in a torrent of heat and fury, setting them all down rather hurriedly in a heap a few feet away from the frat house. She had not been expecting to teleport three people, so her aim- and balance- were off. But they were close enough, at least, to try and reason with Evelyn.

Kerrigan Lens, and Chroma to dorms

Korkoa
Site Admin / Pyro
Site Admin / Pyro

Postby Korkoa » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Static Shock peeked around a corner before racing down the hallway, dragging Serenade behind her. After talking to Dean Hannibal, it did seem prudent to go to the Weapons Arts room and, if Mister Guo wasn't there, to maybe leave him a note about getting some defensive training. Arriving at the entrance to the weapons gym, Static was surprised to see the monk here and turned to Serenade excitedly. "Ohmigosh he's actually here we can just--!" She cut herself off and ran into the room, waving excitedly. "Mister Guo we need to talk to you cuz see something big and bad just happened and we witnessed it and I think Dean Hannibal is worried about us and wants us to talk to you about learning some self defense so that we don't run into any issue and did I miss anything Serenade?"

captain_borgue
Is a cackling Pony

Postby captain_borgue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:42 am

Shuang smiled as the girls walked in to an otherwise empty gym. "Hello there! Dean Hannibal has asked that I train both of you, though she was scarce on the details. That's alright, the details are irrelevant, really," Gou said, smiling softly and bowing. "I am a little surprised she would ask this of me, I am only a simple monk. But I aim to please, so we shall see," he said, eying the pair of them. He recognized Static, though her friend was new. "It is good to see you again, Static. How is your brother doing?He was quite spent after the match yesterday, I hope he is not feeling fatigued- though I doubt you have ever felt fatigue, you are always so effervescent!" Gou said, chuckling.

He walked over to the two of them, his arms tucked inside the sleeves of his robes. I don't believe you and I have met, miss," he said to Serenade, smiling warmly. "It is always good to meet new friends! I am sure we will learn a lot from each other in the coming weeks. Did either of you want a cup of tea? I have a lovely chamomile and lemongrass blend, it would only take a moment to prepare. And that would give us time to talk!" he added, cheerfully.

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:13 am

Serenade curtsied respectfully. "No, I don't think we've been introduced. I'm Starlit Serenade." She said with a smile. "And, respectfully speaking, after the day we've had, a cup of tea would be lovely." She said, peeling of her cardigan, which, along with some areas of her clothes, were now crusty with Chitin's blood. "Ewwww..." She muttered.

Korkoa
Site Admin / Pyro
Site Admin / Pyro

Postby Korkoa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Static stared into the middle distance, barely paying attention to the conversation around her. After the events of the day so far, she felt quite exhausted and worn out,to the point where even thinking almost seemed too difficult. For the girl who's brain ran at a mile a minute all day every day, these moments where she allowed her mind to just stop and breath for a minute were actually quite welcome. For a moment, at least. Snapping back to reality, the gears began to turn again. "Huh? Tea? Oh yea tea sounds fantastic where are we going for that oh and also what are our options for the whole 'defending ourselves' thing cuz that sounds like it could be loads of fun!"

captain_borgue
Is a cackling Pony

Postby captain_borgue » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 pm

"Well, before we can proceed, I must know a little bit more about you. One cannot teach a songbird to catch mice, after all," Gau said, walking over to a small table by the wall, where an electric kettle stood. He took the kettle, filled it from a nearby water fountain, and plugged it in, bustling about to prepare the other niceties that went with a good evening tea. A few little cakes and some shortbread, a small bowl of honey, and a little pot of cream- just in case they wanted something more like a chai.

"So, Static. I've seen you cheering for your brother at meets, but I've really had the chance to get to know you. And you, Starlit, I've never seen you in my gym before. You are remarkably fit though, so you clearly have some sort of fitness regimen, just one that sadly does not bring you into my company," Gau said, carrying the tray over to the two mares, before setting it on the fllor and sitting down. "The dean was not very clear about the details, she only said that she felt the two of you may benefit from knowing how to defend yourselves. I've always believed that everypony could benefit, but it is very seldom that Dean Hannibal intervenes directly. She must either be very fond of you both, or worried for you, or possibly both. Of course, I've never known her to be fond of anything," Gau said, smiling softly, as he stirred some honey into his tea and tipped a shortbread cookie into it.

Korkoa
Site Admin / Pyro
Site Admin / Pyro

Postby Korkoa » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Static took the tea eagerly and mimicked Master Guo's way of tea drinking, dipping the shortbread into the tea and listening intently to what he was saying. "Well we kinda have met before I ran in here a few weeks ago looking for Dubs and found you but it was pretty brief but I've been fold I make an impression so iunno." Static caught her tongue before she could continue and start to dominate the conversation. Again.

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 am

Can't teach a songbird to catch mice, huh?Serenade thought absently as sipped the tea, the comforting heat of it settling the butterflies in her stomach. Something in a primal part of her brain spiked and she felt something of a resentment for the term "songbird", though she couldn't really put a finger on why. She let out a satisfied sigh and rested the warm teacup against her knees. "I'm a voice major, with an emphasis on opera." She said simply, "I'm often in and out of Bucephalus, as most of my voice lessons and music classes are in this building. Dean Firesong is my advisor." She said, resisting the urge to run her filthy hand through her hair. She crossed her ankles politely and sipped her tea again. "It's a long story, really, but I heard something while we were having lunch... I guess you could say I have sensitive hearing. It didn't sound... right, I guess? So I made Static come with me to find out what the sound was..." She trailed off, scratching her eyebrow absently, "It turns out, crying sounds a lot different when someone's been pretty badly beaten. The guy is in the infirmary now, and Static and I are both witnesses. That's why we're here." She said with a shrug.

captain_borgue
Is a cackling Pony

Postby captain_borgue » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm

"I see," Shuang said, thoughtfully. "That is most tragic. He was quite fortunate that you have such a brave spirit. I think I know how best to nurture that inner strength. Have you heard of Krav Maga? It is a very new martial art, which focuses on neutralizing a threat by fighting aggressively and using techniques that are simultaneously defensive and offensive. Krav Maga uses counter-attacks as the main form of defense, using real-world scenarios and applications. It is physically demanding, brutal, and requires its practitioners to overcome the need to hold back. You are already fearless, this gives you quite the advantage. The challenge for you will be to overcome your own learned helplessness," Shuang explained to Serenade.

"You, on the other hand, are already quite skilled in doing everything at 100%. You do not hold back, in anything I have seen you do. For you, I think, something... more deliberate. Careful. Precise. And most of all, slow. I believe Tai Chi will be most useful to you, and give you a chance to observe reactions to your actions. There is a push and pull to everything, and perhaps by deliberately slowing down, you will see what others cannot," Shuang said, smiling softly.

"Martial Arts serves many functions, even if not used for combat. I see them as a means of overcoming the limitations we place on ourselves- and with such limits removed, we are free to discover who we truly are. This, I think, will be the challenge for you girls."

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Serenade stared at the master blankly, and blinked a few times in disbelief. "Krav... Maga? I've never heard of it. I thought I was going to be doing... Tai Chi..." She started to trail off. He'd called her fearless. She contemplated on it for a moment, "Do you really mean that, the being fearless thing? You really think I could do that? I mean, be that tough?" She murmured quietly. Her heart leaped up, like a weight had been lifted off it. A big smile broke across her face and lit up her bright blue eyes like glittering sapphires in the sun. "Sweet..." She said giddily. She'd never thought of herself as tough before, or fearless, or strong. Martial arts had always been just a fantasy in movies and tv shows to her. But here was a master telling her she would have a talent for it, and the idea both thrilled and terrified her. She looked at Static with the same huge smile. "This is going to be so much fun, right Static?"

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Time skip!

Serenade practically stumbled out of her first Krav Maga class, bruised and exhausted. Rather than start off slow, the instructor had practically thrown her into the lion's pit. Her every muscle ached, and her limbs felt like they were made of lead. Every inch of her was doused with sweat, and it clung to her clothes. She sat down on the steps of the building, gratefully breathing in the cool evening air in gulps. She leaned her head back, closed her eyes, and smiled.

She couldn't remember the last time she felt so alive. She had been going up against guys almost twice her size and with much more experience, and, for the most part, she had held her own. The adrenaline in her blood made her shiver all over, and she leaned back on her elbows to wait for Static to come out of her lesson.

Korkoa
Site Admin / Pyro
Site Admin / Pyro

Postby Korkoa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Static walked out of the gym awhile after Serenade, her hands stuck into her pockets and a nearly-visible cloud of frustration around her. Form and pose and balance and boring, the whole thing! And yet, she found herself practically exhausted, as if all her energy was gone. She sighed loudly before noticing Serenade and heading over to her. "So how'd your thing go did it go good cuz I'm pretty jealous of you and your awesome martial art mine is just kinda bleh." She said, sinking down onto the grass in front of her fabulous friend.

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Serenade chuckled and plopped a hand down on top of Static's head. She took a deep breath and looked down at her. "I'm sorry, Static. Mine went... Surprisingly well. I'm bruised and sore, and I kind of wish I could take my arms off, but I feel better than I have in a very, very long time." She said, standing up slowly. She draped her arm over Static's shoulder and pointed towards the apartments with her other hand, "Lead on, Static! To the apartments, and thus, the shower and bed." She joked, vaguely thinking to herself that she was going to have to buy better workout clothes, because trying to do krav maga in a dress wasn't exactly working out for her.

Morningglory
Is a pony

Postby Morningglory » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Scarlet Glory finally stopped beating on the poor punching bag, sweat dripping down her temples, sticking her shirt to her back, after at least half an hour of solid beatings. She wiped her forehead with her right arm and shook her head, shaking a small shower of sweat out of the short red hair. She let out a slow breath and glanced in the mirror briefly, looking away as she scooped up her bag in her arm. It had been a long day of training on her own, and she could use the nice break that was about to come. She reached into the pocket on the side of the bag and pulled out her phone, dialing it absentmindedly to see if she might have company for dinner. "Come on, Firesong. Pick up." She muttered. She hadn't really had a plan to have a friend over for dinner, but always eager to see one of her few friends, she tapped her foot impatiently.

When she didn't pick up, Scarlet let out a frustrated sigh. It wasn't so much she objected to eating alone, but she was desperately in need of something to break up the monotony. She scrolled through her contacts, and randomly pressed dial. She glanced down for a moment and smirked. "Hmm Dean Spell... His lucky day I guess." She murmured with a shrug as the ringtone started.

captain_borgue
Is a cackling Pony

Postby captain_borgue » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Shuang Gou sat meditating in the small anteroom that served as his office, inhaling the soft scent of incense as he pondered the day's events. Serenade had taken to Krav Maga like a fish to water, as he had suspected she would- but Static was having far more trouble adjusting. Her mind worked so much faster than everypony he'd met before, and Tai Chi was much more relaxed and deliberate. He had hoped the dramatic shift in process would do her good, but it was clear more needed to be done. He slowly opened his eyes and used his magic to fetch a memo book, and began scribbling notes.

He had a plan. Static was accustomed to being a 'stranger in a strange land', as it were- her train of thought never slowed, and no doubt from her perspective, the world around her moved at a glacial pace. Perhaps, then, with meditation and introspection, he could help her. The trick, then, was to help her unlearn all of the detrimental processes she had acquired from a lifetime of trying to force her brain to work at everypony else's speed. Luckily, Gou had a wealth of experience in this- he himself had gone through a similar ordeal in his youth in the monastery. The apparent absurdity of zen had helped him discovery himself quite effectively, even if it did confuse him mightily at first. Perhaps, for her, it would do the same.

Return to “Equestria University (RP)”