Salt Lick City, Ch 2

Enter Luna University near scenic Salt Lick City.
Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Salt Lick City, Ch 2

Postby Lucy Took » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 pm

The city of Salt Lick City is far from the largest city in Equestria, but it's not a hamlet either. The city is full of little shops and large department stores and a mall to shop in, as well as a variety of concert halls and theaters, public meeting places and parks. The weather is turning cold fast, and most days are windy. Still when the sun is shining it is still present to walk in the mid day in the crisp Fall air.

Though the college is a mere five minuet bus ride to the heart of Salt Lick, the lake town it is located in is a smaller village that makes most of it's business catering to students with it's grocery store, cafes, repair shops, book stores and a clothing store.
~If this should end in fire, then we should all burn together~

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Re: Salt Lick City, Ch 2

Postby Lucy Took » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:09 pm

The sun was just starting to go down on the lake and inside a home a block off campus in a home that had a decent view of said lake a middle-aged pegisis was pouring two cups of tea and taking them to a couch in front of a window that nicely framed said view. Firesong handed one of the cups to the stallion on the couch before sitting down herself, giving him a kiss before taking a sip out of her own tea cup. "It's pretty quiet with Prism gone, isn't it Gem? I miss her, but I can't complain about finally getting some time for the two of us."

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Longshot came stumbling out of the mirror, but managed to keep his feet. It was a disorienting experience to step into another world to put it mildly, he'd felt like he'd been stretched and twisted like putty. But that was no excuse for lacking vigilance. His magic brought his rifle to bear and scanned the room. This was a new world where any rules might apply, he needed to be ready to protect himself. This had clearly been somepony's house, as he found himself in a basement. Various items and boxes were strewn about, but something was just... off. Longshot struggled to put a hoof on it, but couldn't place it.

Tempted as he was to check for anyrhing useful, he had to be sure the rest of the building was secure first. And find some water, that was definitely the next priority. He moved to the stairs, climbing them silently. He'd had plenty of practice and, much to his surprise, the stairs themselves hardly made any noise. He found the door at the top slightly ajar and peaked through it. Two ponies were cuddled up on the couch and Longshot very nearly brought his gun up before he realized what he couldn't place before.

First of all, the room's dimensions were off. This was easily explained by the fact that the occupants were ... just wrongly shaped, almost like minotaurs. A shape he now shared. Some part in the back of his mind wondered just how powerful that mirror was. More than that though, the room was unbelievably clean. The basement had had some dust, but that was all. And this room was simply spottless, to Longshot's eyes.

This hadn't been somepony's home, it still was. He'd actually found a peaceful world. It was what he'd wanted, what he was after, but his brain just couldn't process...

Longshot tried to put these thoughts aside and opened the door fully so he could present himself and ask for some water. A part of his brain was flashing warnings not to be so trusting, but he fought it down. It didn't matter though, as he caught sight of the view out the window and everything else was pushed from his head. "Sweet Celestia," he rasped. It hurt to speak, but he couldn't keep silent at that.

The rifle clattered unceremoniously to the ground and Longshot all but ran past the two ponies to the window, pressing his hands to it as the sun's rays caressed his face. Tears fell from his face unashamed as he watched. He knew it was irrational, but he feared the sun would never rise again as it dropped below the horizion and he had to savor every moment.
We are what we repeatedly do.

Longshot's Theme

TwentySided
Site Admin / Benevolent One

Postby TwentySided » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:15 am

Gem Shard - Salt Lick City - Shard's House Living Room

Gem let out a content sigh as he and Fire laid upon their living room couch, watching a movie suggested by Hannibal, Love Actually, or something similar to that. It was a nice Hearthwarming movie, funny, sweet, perfect for date night. As Gem watched, his arms around Fire as she in turn rested against him, the enchanter, raised an ear, glancing over, thinking he had heard one of the doors. Shrugging it off as Philosopher hunting a mouse or simply getting into some kind of trouble his attention returned to the tv as two of the characters began kissing backstage of a Hearthwarming play, the current suddenly exposing the two. He couldn't help but give a soft chuckle.

Yet another sound caught the unicorn's attention, something large clattering to the ground, with the clang of metal, clearly not Philosopher. Sitting up straight, the professor turned to the basement door as a stallion in dirty garb rushed out, his hands pressed against the window, sobbing.

Looking to his wife, Gem slowly stood up putting himself between the stranger and Fire, an arm raised and a spell ready just in case. "Sir? Sir are you alright?"

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am

Longshot registered the voice behind him, though he never took his eyes from the sky. The sun dipped below the horizon and the stars swiftly came to dominate the sky, leaving him in awe. He wanted to say yes, wanted to say he'd never been better in his whole life, but his raw throat croaked as he tried to speak and reminded him that that wasn't really true.

He tried to swallow but had precious little saliva to do so with. He managed to get out a simple, "No. W-water?"

Longshot's Theme

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Firesong stared in shock and let her husband do the talking while she looked the newcomer over with curiosity. He didn't look like a common house burglar. For one thing he'd have to be a stupid one to rob in daylight, and for another his emotions were all wrong. She put puzzling things out on hold when he started talking. "Water. Of course." she said before fluttering over to her kitchen and filling a tall glass with water and ice and flew back to her "guest". "Do you need a doctor?" she said, handing the glass over.

TwentySided

Postby TwentySided » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Doctor Gem Shard - Salt Lick City - Shard's House, Living Room

Gem watched as Fire floated off for a moment quickly coming back with a glass of ice water. Breaking his gaze from the stallion for a moment, Shard took the chance to glance over to where the intruder had come from. Seeing the basement door wide open, the doctor's intrigue began to grow. There was no way a pony such as this could possibly get into their house through there. There were windows yes, but most were much too thin for anyone to get through, more over none of his security spells had alerted him to this pony's presence, so none of the windows were broken. Careful on how to approach this situation, Gem made sure to keep a teleport ready. This pony was acting strange, not like any burgler he had ever heard of. "Sir, Where did you come from? How did you get in here?"

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Longshot waited silently and took the water in his magic without looking at it, downing it eagerly without even looking, eyes seemingly bound to the dome of the sky. He shakes his head in response to the female voice, "No, I- Maybe... How could anypony have ever taken this for granted?"

The male's question finally brings him around and he turns to face the pair. "I'm so sorry, you must be frightened." He stops a moment to try and clear his throat. He faces the pegasus, holding out the glass to her. "Can I have some more? I'll explain. I... Sisters, you'll never believe me. Do you know what that mirror in your basement is?"

Longshot's Theme

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Firesong took the glass and filled it, questions starting to come to her mind, but experience telling her to start with one or two and working her way up. "I suppose we do take how nice life is for granted at times, but I try to avoid doing that by enjoying life. I think the more important question is what were you doing that made you so thirsty? And looking like a wreck for that matter. And seriously, a doctor isn't any trouble."

TwentySided

Postby TwentySided » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Growing a bit less tense to the whole situation, Gem Shard lowered his hand, "Frightened is really the word, concern would be a better term." It was interesting he would bring up the mirror in his basement. He had been given it for study a few months back, with his expertise in enchanting he theorized that stable connection to other worlds was a definite possibility. Unfortunately any and all study had ground to a halt due to all magic within it going into a hibernated state until later, He thought he had another week till it actually activated once again. The records must have been wrong, his calculations could have been off as well, or the whole thirty moons per use was simply a generalization. If that were the case then how could anyone predict when the mirror would actually be active.

"You came through the mirror?" Gem asked, raising an eyebrow, "It's not supposed to be active yet. This is only the twenty ninth moon between activations. So, if you came in through there, that means you are from a different world from our own." Gem concluded. "But you look to be in such a sorry state. Who are you? What happened in your world?"

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:46 pm

"I ment the sky, actually." Longshot downed the second glass just as quickly as the first. "Or the night, either way."

Longshot leaned back against the window, needing the support. He wondered when he got so tired? Or had he always been so tired and was just finally relaxed. He shook his head and considered which question to answer first. "The mirror on my world is activated whenever anypony capable of opening it does so," he started, deciding the mirror was just easier to deal with. Concrete. "It's not on some sort of time lock. If you go through it you can see for yourself. If I read the notes right, it'll last a day. I sort of jury-rigged the spell though so who knows?"

"As for what happened... I could spend hours telling you. I don't really know. The important part is that there was a war and... it's dead. Just... everything."

Longshot's Theme

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Firesong nodded and listened. Doc had some odd experiments and she knew the mirror was one of the, but she didn't expect anything to come out of it. At least not when he wasn't looking for it. She flew to a closet and pulled out an old blanket and draped it over a chair while the newcomer finished speaking. "Have a seat while my husband takes a look at the mirror." She said motioning to the chair before looking at her husband. "Gem, take a look but don't actually go in. I'd hate to have you disappear into some forsaken war torn place for 30 months. I'm going to call Kerrigan as soon as our guest is settled." She turned back to him. "What is your name? And would you like something to eat?"

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 pm

"I- I'm Longshot, and yes. Please. But can I sit outside? I just... if that's alright." Longshot made sure to catch the unicorn before he disappeared. "On the other side is Starswirl's lab in the catacombs under Canterlot. It's safe, but the rest of the city isn't."

Longshot's Theme

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:18 pm

"And Gem, no. I don't care how safe Starswirl's lab is if you get stuck in there I don't know what I'd do. No going through that mirror unless you at the very least have Mustang to back you up and guard the mirror to make sure you get back. And have your cell on! Though I don't know if that works in other worlds..." Firesong shook her head. "Just be careful."

"As for you Longshot, of course you can sit outside if you'd rather,it's a nice day. There's a porch just through that door."

TwentySided

Postby TwentySided » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

"Fair enough, Fire" Gem said, already stepping down the stairs. The very idea that there could be a way for the mirror to activate on its own. If that were true then despite how much he wanted to research the relic, it could certainly be a liability to both himself and more importantly, Fire Song.

Descending down to the basement, Gem turned to the mirror, seeing a slight silver glow coming from the surface of the object. He was right, it was active. It could be activate from the other side. Which meant he needed to get the mirror out of his house and back into the labs up at the school. If the other side was certainly this dangerous then it needed to be constantly monitored in case more came through. The unicorn had only said that the other Canterlot was dangerous, he hadn't really explained what that danger was. For all he knew it could be dragons beyond there.

Reaching the mirror, Gem reached forward, touching the surface of the relic, rippling at his touch. The possibilities that could come from researching this other world. They were astounding...but he couldn't do that, not tonight. Even if Fire hadn't already said otherwise, going into something like this with no contingency plan? That was foolhardy. For now though, he needed to raise his security to the basement.

Heading back upstairs, the stallion closed the door to the basement, beginning to cast shield spell over shield spell over the entirety of the door. Before finally activating the chameleon enchantment, causing the door to fade to that of a wall. He would need to do the same for the windows. So much for a relaxing evening with Fire. "Alright the door should be covered. I need to go and shield the windows." Doc called out to Fire, moving for the front door.

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Longshot took the blanket with him before heading out the door he was pointed in. He all but collapsed in the seat, staring up at the sky once again. He could see the moon now and the silent tears started again. "Did they know what they took from us?" he wondered softly to himself. He felt so tired... Only the prospect of food kept his eyes open. His body just wanted to rest.

Longshot's Theme

Lucy Took
Iceberg of Friendship
Iceberg of Friendship

Postby Lucy Took » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Firesong felt a weight that she didn't know was there lift as soon as she heard the enchanter's voice calling up. She trusted him to listen to her, but she wasn't sure if the mirror had some kind of pull to it that would let him keep that trust. "Thanks for letting me know, Dear." she called out as she pulled some leftover pizza out of the microwave. "We're on the deck once you're done" she added before texting Kerrigan that they had an interesting case and if she'd please call or come over as soon as she was done with her school day?

She then went outside and handed the plate to Longshot. "It's not the top quality of food, but it's fast and you looked hungry. Were you trying to leave your world?"

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Longshot takes the plate, but holds off eating long enough to answer. "Yes, I'd heard about the mirror from a ghoul and... I just had to risk it." He takes a bite and whatever else he was going to add is forgotten. For the next couple minutes, all Longshot can think about is the first meal he's ever had that wasn't either mutated by necromantic energies or over two hundred years old. Fresh food, relatively speaking, tastes like heaven.

Longshot's Theme

TwentySided

Postby TwentySided » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Doctor Gem Shard - Salt Lick City - Shard's House Outside

Walking around the outside of the house, Gem continued the process of applying defensive spells over the windows in the basement before once again adding a chameleon spell. Unfortunately, unlike the door to the basement the windows weren't actually enchanted with the spell, meaning more energy was being devoted to actually casting it instead of simply activating it. He had at one time considered simply enchanting the entire house with such a spell so in case of any true emergencies he could simply make the house vanish, but Fire had convinced him that it was much more trouble than it was worth, so he had put the idea to the side, though teleportation, that was certainly still an option.

Reaching the last window, Doc began applying the same spells he had added to the others feeling himself grow more and more exhausted with each cast, the pain in his head beginning to grow. He would certainly be done with casting for a good while. Watching the window vanish, blending into the wall, the enchanter let out a sigh of relief. It was finally done. Should anyone else come through that mirror they'd only find themselves in utter cold darkness. Hopefully that would ward them away from sticking around.

Walking out to the deck, Gem slumped into a chair letting out a sigh of relief. He would need an ice pack for the drilling headache he had after all of the casting but that was little consequence if it meant others weren't coming through and into his house. Others that might not be so friendly as this one.

White Mocha
Is a Sane Pony

Postby White Mocha » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Longshot, was finished consuming the mana before the unicorn had returned but he wasn't quite done swallowing it. He worked to get down the last, too-large chunk as he sat and after taking a deep inhale said "That was very impressive, you must be well practiced... um, I'm sorry, if you gave your names I think I missed them..."

Longshot's Theme

Return to “Equestria University (RP)”